Back to ForumBack to top
David - 2y ago
Update: Wall Thickness & Window Sills
Today we released a new update which we think has a great visual impact. All your walls with doors and windows in it will now render much more realistic!

The wall thickness was already customisable with three options, but from today on the rendering actually shows the window sills with a real depth. No more need to trick it with "fake" walls to create this effect in your design.

This new approach is default for all your new rooms. No old rooms will be changed automatically, but you can apply the effect by remixing and requesting a new render of it.

Give it a try when designing your next masterpiece, and let us know what you think.
David 2y ago
52 replies
vagrfd - 2y ago
A really interesting new feature, thank you Tech team!BUT I can see a problem, look at the rendering of the arched window,0nwcywodmqkllazr. I hope you can do something about it!
vagrfd 2y ago
David - 2y ago
Thanks vagrfd for noticing that! We are fixing that arched window right away.
David 2y ago
timknip - 2y ago
https://roomstyler.com/users/345404 The issue with arched windows has been fixed and deployed. 
timknip 2y ago
David - 2y ago
IMPORTANT UPDATE

By analysing our log files from the last couple of hours we quickly noticed we are experiencing more errors than usual in the room . We have found the origin for these errors in the new update for the wall thickness. This code needs some more attention and final fixes and our tech team is on it. 

For in the mean time the "wall thickness" feature is still there but disabled by default. After creating the first sketches of your room and saving it, you can find the checkbox in the 'Take 3D photo' dialog. But please keep in mind the possibility your render fails is slightly bigger than usual.

Once we get this feature working more stable and with less errors I will post another update in this forum thread.
David 2y ago
Nufra - 2y ago
Great ! But ... as you are working on the walls ... it would be possible to have "an opening" without the frame? It would be perfect to create niches!
Many thanks
Nufra 2y ago
I agree Nufra, but this time If I could ask I would like to have curved and arched opening, also without frame, too. I can`t wait any more, sorry.
Any way I like the way windows and doors look, good job.

Pirschjaeger - 2y ago
I noticed a minor issue with the window indentation looks when using wallpaper instead of a solid color. Some sides of the indentation will repeat the edge of the pattern, while others will be an uniform color. 
Here is an example picture: Eam88zalxr1daual

timknip - 2y ago
@Pirschjaeger Thanks for reporting the issue. We'll try to fix it asap.
timknip 2y ago
timknip - 2y ago
timknip 2y ago
Pirschjaeger - 2y ago
Neat. Thank you. Looks better now.
starsector - 2y ago
Looks great!!
starsector 2y ago
Theadora - 2y ago
I encountered a glitch when remixing my latest design which might have something to do with these changes. 
Without doing anything (only remix and save as) the left wall has moved forward.
Original: P51eh xn2i4l gwr 
Theadora 2y ago
timknip - 2y ago
@Theadora Remember walls now have thickness (so it looks like 'movement'). Items placed close to the wall will still have their original position. Hence, in your remix these items will be partly 'swallowed' by the now thicker wall. You will need adjust your items in your remix.
timknip 2y ago
Theadora - 2y ago
The preview does not reflect the rendering so adjusting the items is going to be guesswork.
Theadora 2y ago
timknip - 2y ago
@Theadora True. Though the 2D view *does* reflect the "real" situation (as walls in 2D also have thickness). We're working on updating the 3D preview.
timknip 2y ago
Theadora - 2y ago
Thank you. : )
Theadora 2y ago
starsector - 2y ago
I believe I have experienced this issue.  On a design with 'pillars' from walls, the 2D measurements would be 6" (inches) and they appear that way in the preview.  But the 3D rendered version they are 12".
starsector 2y ago
Theadora - 2y ago
If room dimensions are important it is better to move the walls back instead of adjusting the furniture. It does turn out to be guesswork and is a real pain, hope the preview is updated soon. : )
Theadora 2y ago
timknip - 2y ago
@starsector Yes, that would be the effect of walls now having thickness in the 3D renders There's still the option to render old rooms without thickness though. Until the preview is "fixed" there will be this inconsistency  alas.
timknip 2y ago
Something is wrong with thickness in 3d render. I didn`t have problem with this till now.. I`ve just been remixing one of my rooms,

C0nva4639kfs3rbq

timknip - 2y ago
@DMLIghts-user-... Not sure what you mean. Could you describe the problem?
timknip 2y ago
ritsa - 2y ago
thank you..but look  the ceiling and the floor in the door..is it a problem?
ritsa 2y ago
ritsa - 2y ago

ritsa 2y ago
ritsa - 2y ago
ritsa 2y ago
ritsa - 2y ago
not applicable
ritsa 2y ago
timknip: Hi, if, you`re asking me what I mean. I was having a problem my room, rather a part of this room, and trying to create 3 niches/windows with dm lights and frosting glass wall. I want these lights to be inside these niches, but the problem is that I couldn`t see the effect of window sills even after I had taken pictures many times, it helped nothing.

Taking into consideration other items I used in my design, It should be like this.
http://st.hzcdn.com/simgs/850259ac030dfcda_8-5632/home-design.jpg.

One more thing. When I opened one of my earlier design, I could change thickness of walls.
I hope I`ve explained clearly this problem, if you have some more question, ask.

timknip - 2y ago
@DMLIghts-user-...  Think you can hack it by placing a (hidden) table (or whatever applicable item) inside the niche onto which you can place your items. Without the hack your items will always end up on the floor.
timknip 2y ago
I know and I often use this method. but I want the lights inside the niches, not in the ceiling. I don`t know if I can create this effect. The problem is thickness of walls. When I started changing anything in this room, everything was ok.
timknip - 2y ago
@DMLIghts-user-...  Right. Can't help you further alas. Maybe best if you create a new forum topic dedicated to your specific issue.
timknip 2y ago
I`ve thought anyone could help me because I still can`t render this room with thickness, that`s why I`ve written here.

Hello I can't seem to render new rooms or remixes except for olddddd designs with the new thickness. Can anyone help?
Earvette - 2y ago
It's strange. I have the same problem with one of my rooms, that I made once upon a time, but I used dmlight account, while I was editing it. At the beginning I could render that room with thickness, now I can't.
Earvette 2y ago
timknip - 2y ago
@DMLIgths-user @Earvette The new wall thickness algorithm still yields a slightly higher error rate then the old algorithm. So its possible that rooms without wall thickness render fine, but fail when rendered with wall thickness. We are aware of this and working on it.
timknip 2y ago
Earvette - 2y ago
I understand it, but the room didn`t fail to render with wall thickness when I started to change anything. When I added dm lights to put it inside niche, it started to fail.

Earvette 2y ago
timknip - 2y ago
@Earvette could you give me the failing room id?
timknip 2y ago
Earvette - 2y ago
I`ve sent it when I mentioned about my problem for the first time.

C0nva4639kfs3rbq

Earvette 2y ago
ritsa - 2y ago
Did you make a to display a wall without the need to existing floor? https://d370hy2xlo0h5t.cloudfront.net/media/data/rooms/images/eAaMiVUtyVohm4Rt.jpg

ritsa 2y ago
ritsa - 2y ago
and ceiling..thanks
ritsa 2y ago
ritsa - 2y ago
Also, when I joined two wallς projects a column that connects them
ritsa 2y ago
its more like the option to render with thickness just doesn't come up aside from specific rooms which i then cant edit and render with thickness once the tab has been closed :/ any reason possibly?
starsector - 2y ago
@DMLights-user, try clicking on each wall that is suppose to be Thick.  Look in the left side panel, click to make it thin, then click again to make it Thick.  See if that helps because in the past, when I would reopen a room with thick walls, it wouldn't work until I did that step.
Hope that helps :)

starsector 2y ago
Earvette - 2y ago
Ok, I`ll try. thank you.
Earvette 2y ago

Hi everybody,
I am new to this forum and Roomstyler so, first, of all, glad I have found this great community.

As
a newcomer I need need some help.  although I will try reading more than writing. I have a question about "low quality preview" which appears in right-top angle. Does it alway goes without taking into account wall thickness?  I attach a screenshot here https://www.screencast.com/t/xFszSuiB

I can get a render with wall-thickness accounted for when presing on "Take a 3d Photo" naturally one would like to have it on a low preview also. Would be thankful for your help.

Earvette - 2m ago

I wonder if you can change the way material renders in 3d using frameless door. I think I mentioned it before. The problem is material renders different, you can see the grout is lower or higher, I know that this can be an option for others, but I wonder if it`s possible to achieve effect like this below. 

https://st.hzcdn.com/simgs/3d22a33e04f52d8e_8-4143/home-design.jpg

Earvette 2m ago
hauser - 2m ago

Hmm, ... ? 

Zpk2lgxmpejy0gib

hauser 2m ago

Guys, sorry, just checked, my link to the screenshot above did not work. Here it is again (I do not know another way to place images here, if you know better one please suggest).

Again, I very much need someone's advice about paper-thin walls on low-quality preview. Is there a way to solve that. When I press "take a 3d photo" walls have thickness, but when I am just working with floor plan, the "low quality preview" (on the right top) has walls paper-thin..

Please, help

Hauser, not all materials render the same way, but thank you for example.

hauser - 2m ago

With wallpaper the problem is, where to cut. The trick is to find a different way for the rendering at the sidewalls. 

8wcosk 0jktwga x

hauser 2m ago
Earvette - 2m ago

Lately, I ve uploadd some photos as materials, and they rendered as I wanted, can you make public the room you added here?

Earvette 2m ago
hauser - 2m ago

It´s christmas. Santa is comming to town. 

Upwe10d mesbbkci

hauser 2m ago